Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Homemade yogurt

I love yogurt and enjoy eating it for breakfast. I have thought about making my own but just wasn't sure about it. So I set out to do some studying on the subject. One of the main reason I decided to try making my own yogurt is for the health benefits. I have more live cultures in my homemade yogurt than I would have in store bought yogurt. I have read many different ways of making it and none of them really worked for me. Soooo I took tips from all over and came up with my own way of making it that worked for me. Here's how I do it.......


Again I get my starter from
Leeners.


You will need
2 - quart size canning jars with lids and rings
1 - crockpot (big enough to hold 2 quarts or 8 cups of milk)
yogurt starter
whole milk
thermometer
thick bath towel

Optional
powdered milk
maple syrup


Pour 8 cups of whole milk into your crockpot,put the lid on it and set it on low. heat it to 160 - 180 degrees,then turn off the crockpot once the milk reaches that temperature. Take the lid off and walk away. Let it cool down to 100 - 110 degrees. I stir mine frequently to help it cool faster.

Once it's reached 100 - 110 degrees,stir in 1/8 tsp yogurt starter and if using the powdered milk and maple syrup stir in 1/3 C powder milk and 1/4 C maple syrup (make sure it's 100% real maple syrup). Stir all until mixed well.

Put the lid back on and then wrap a thick bath towel around the crockpot to seal in the heat. Walk away and let it set for 10 - 12 hours.

After the setting time is up,get your jars and lids ready and pour the yogurt into the jars,put the lids on them (I label mine as well) and set in the refridgerator to chill. Once cold you have delicious nutritious home yogurt.

You can also at this point at fruit or preserves to it if you like.

I like adding frozen fruits,strawberry and blackberries are my favorites. I add how ever much I want to my food processor and chop it up really well until it's to the consistency I like and stir it in my yogurt. YUMMY!!!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Keep in mind that homemade yogurt is going to be thinner than store bought.

Rosetta said...

Does it have to be whole milk? Can I use a lower fat milk or will that ruin it?

Rosetta