Thursday, October 2, 2008

Staying Tuned In

Being a mom of teenagers I can't stress enough how important it is to keep the doors of communication open. I know that if they don't have someone to talk to at home then they will find someone outside our home to confide in and get advise and that could so easily lead them down the wrong path in life. Believe me I know how hard it is but anything that is worth investing time and effort in is never easy.

I talk with all my children and I started at a young age. When they came (well I still have a 6 yr old that comes to me like this) with something that seems or seemed crazy or not so interesting, I listen(ed) and asked questions on given topic or issue. I show them then and now that I was or am interested in what was going on in their world no matter how small it may have seemed to me,it was the issue for them at that time.


I still do this with my sons but now most things they come to me about are more complex and the questions I ask and answers I give can make a huge impact on what direction they go. But by starting out at a young age they know that I am here and willing to take the time to listen to them and help them when I possibly can.


The next time your child comes to you with something no matter how small make it a point to show him/her that you are interested. Make them feel important by indulging them a little. The small things now can lead to the bigger things in the future,by laying the ground work now you enable he/she to come to you when something big and possibly life changing comes up.

God Bless,
Tammy

0 comments: