Friday, June 6, 2008

Today's ramblings and wringer washers

Since yesterday I have been doing our family's laundry with our old maytag wringer washer. Standing aside it my mind wandered back to when I was a child to my grandmothers house. I can still see her and my aunts working on the weeks laundry with what seemed like mounds of clothes all over and her washer set up on the back porch with rinse buckets along side of it. They had a system and it worked well for them although laundry was an all day event even with more than one woman working on it. They washed,wringed the laundry out,rinsed,ran it through the wringers again and then straight out to the lines for drying.

Although now a days my grandmother has opted for the much easier and fast automatic washer and has since gotten rid of her old wringer washer. I have held onto one, I just couldn't seem to get rid of the old Maytag. I'm glad now that I didn't LOL. But it does make one appreciate how easy our chores have gotten over time. From a wash board,to a tub with a hand held wringer,to a full on machine to an automatic machine where we do no more than load and unload it,losing touch with the art of laundry that our mothers and their mothers had. We just dont' think about it,we just do it.

To appreciate what one has sometimes we must step out of the realm of comfort.
God Bless,
Tammy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I' AM LOVE TO SEE A VIDEO FONCION WASHER WRINGER LOLL ...

Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto your blog and while I was reading I seen you doing the ringer wow! Thank God, we don't have to do that anymore. I see you have a machine in the back ground did it brake or is there another reason your doing it by ringer? I read a few days, loved te old picture by the way? but, I didn't see why you were using it.
Just being nosey. :) ha ha
Great blog!
Much peace & love,
Laura
www.savemoneywithlaura.com