Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My grocery trip yesterday....

went really well. I do have to admit that it was a bit overwhelming to buy for a whole month at a time but I'm sure that the more I do it the easier it will be. But the really cool news is that I was able to shop for the whole month and I saved so much money so far. I was really surprised, I thought going into this adventure that I would be spending more. But I didn't. I couldn't believe how much more of our grocery budget I have left for the month.

I set our new grocery budget at 500.00 it was previously 600.00. I wasn't sure how I was going to keep it at 500.00 when I had a hard time keeping it at 600.00,but to my surprise I have been able to do and still have a little leftover. It has taken a lot of diligent work,keeping track of what I have on hand at all times to make meals from and that meant keeping my inventory sheets up to date and current,keeping a menu and using what I have on hand to make a menu,using leftovers as much as possible. All these things have helped me keep our grocery budget under our monthly goal. But to do this for a whole month that was a whole new thing for me and I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

But I went on as I normally do making my menu one meal at a time. I do have to admit it was harder than I thought to come up with a months worth of meals in one sitting. Once I had it the grocery list was the next challenge,it wasn't difficult the only thing was making sure I had enough of the little things like butter,salt,pepper and other spices for cooking/baking. But I think over all I did ok. I'm sure there will be things I forgot as this is my first time doing this and it's a learning curve for me.

I may or may not continue to shop this way always we will have to wait and see about that. But so far it was not as bad as I thought it would be. And to boot I have 302.00 left of our month grocery budget of 500.00!!! wooohooo!!!!

God Bless,

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's wonderful! I could learn a lot about grocery shopping from you!